Electric cars about to get screwed...

Lounge
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Electric cars about to get screwed...

Post by Ponyguy » May 15th, 2019, 2:04 am

A proposal began in Illinois to raise the annual registration fee for electric automobiles from the present $17.50 all the way up to $1000.
The idea is to make the Electricars pay their share of highway maintenance; fueled vehicles pay a road tax when they purchase gasoline and Diesel fuel.
Electric vehicles in Illinois presently pay nothing at all... even their $17.50 registration fee is minuscule compared to the $108 I pay annually for each of my fueled vehicles.

The Tesla amp-jockeys are gonna squawk... :angry:

https://www.google.com/search?q=electri ... 20illinois
2004 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
2004 Ranger XLT Flareside
1984 Mustang Convertible
theperfectdrugsk

Re: Electric cars about to get screwed...

Post by theperfectdrugsk » May 15th, 2019, 7:26 pm

A much better method would be to take odometer readings at annual safety inspections. Then when you go to get your registration, the amount you pay is proportional to your use (in the same way that gas taxes are; you drive more, you pay more in use tax).
2007 Crown Victoria P71. 180k miles, pretty much bone stock.
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Post by Ponyguy » May 16th, 2019, 12:08 am

theperfectdrugsk wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 7:26 pm
A much better method would be to take odometer readings at annual safety inspections. Then when you go to get your registration, the amount you pay is proportional to your use (in the same way that gas taxes are; you drive more, you pay more in use tax).
A "much better" method? Hardly, at least in Illinois...

Illinois has no state-wide safety inspections... and only vehicles with OBD-II that are over 4 years old (1996 and newer) even get emissions tested; and then, only those registered in the high population-density areas... Chicago collar counties and the St. Louis area. And those emissions tests are simply an OBD-II plug into the State's computer. Instituting a state-wide safety test would involve the creation of an entirely new system... and Illinois is already near bankruptcy.

Perhaps a mileage statement included with the annual vehicle registration... but being in Illinois, that would open up an entirely new can of corruption.
1984 Mustang Convertible
theperfectdrugsk

Post by theperfectdrugsk » May 16th, 2019, 7:42 am

Illinois has no safety inspection? Seriously?! I had no idea...every state I've lived in had them.
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Post by Ponyguy » May 16th, 2019, 2:55 pm

theperfectdrugsk wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 7:42 am
Illinois has no safety inspection? Seriously?! I had no idea...every state I've lived in had them.
Nope!

Any rusted-out rattletrap can be registered and licensed, as long as its owner coughs up the shekels.

That said, a policeman can stop you if he thinks the vehicle you're driving is unsafe, or hazardous in some way... but it usually means that it's gotta be a pretty obvious "safety issue."

What really fries my balls is getting behind some old smoker, particularly like many older Chevrolets leaving a blue-grey fog behind them. If the vehicle is pre-OBD-II, they don't emissions test them any more, so there's apparently no legal authority to pull them over. Several years ago, they used to test all vehicles over 4 years old... they did a gas tank cap test, then drove them on dynamometer rollers with a tailpipe sniffer recording the pollution levels. There were two tests... a stringent 30 second test and a longer, two minute version; if the car passed the 30 second test with a good enough number, you were golden, and out the door with your emissions certificate. If it failed that test, it got the longer test, and had to pass it to be able to install or renew the license plates.
My old Mustang surprised the tester by passing the 30 second test the last time it was tested; she really wanted to sit in the 'Stang and "drive" it on the two-minute test... :usaflag: :ford: :usaflag:
1984 Mustang Convertible
theperfectdrugsk

Post by theperfectdrugsk » May 16th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Yeah, that's the kind of emissions testing I remember when I lived in Saint Louis. Although I do remember when they switched from the dyno tests to just reading the OBD-II. They weren't even checking to make sure the drive cycles had been completed, so if you knew you couldn't pass (CEL on), you could just reset the PCM and take it in.