The traveling CVN bottle opener thread

Lounge
bluejay_32
POTM Winner Contributor to SoK CVNw MWP
Club 1K

The traveling CVN bottle opener thread

Post by bluejay_32 » October 14th, 2018, 1:59 am

For anyone who doesn't know, last year JeffBoudah made CVN bottle openers.
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubb ... ost3621297

Somehow, a_d_a_m ended up with two, so in the vein of legendary CVN threads like Rizzo's travelling 13mm socket, he sent it off to CVN members around the globe.
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubb ... 194&page=1

I have the been the tenth guardian of "Mr. Buzzfeed" as it has been dubbed.
bluejay_32 wrote:An updated list

1.) a_d_a_m: Cleveland, OH USA
2.) WSTRLNG: Plymouth, NH USA
3.) CNGInterceptor: Cranston, RI USA
4.) Moby_Vic: Orlando, FL USA
5.) MGDriver: Paderborn, Germany; London, England
6.) Troutman: Ballarat, VIC Australia
7.) LTC_Dave: Wichita, KS USA
8.) GoldPanther: Schiller Park, IL; Chicago, IL USA
9.) Chaplian: Savannah, GA; Joliet, IL USA
10.) bluejay_32: Tonawanda, NY USA; Toronto, ON Canada :canada:

Then VerticalScope happened. :roll:

This is where he has languished for the last month while CVN is dying instead of jaunting all over the world.

I'm posting this here because CVN is almost gone, anyone who's interested in continuing the adventure, send me a PM.
2008 Grand Marquis - bought 7/29/16 - 60,210 mi
Inagural CVNw POTM - December 2018 :greenthing:

CVN POTM - February 2019 :jump:
Bellwestern80 wrote:Shame TechnoWeenie couldn't have handed us a pamphlet about VerticalScope.
bluejay_32
Club 1K

Re: The traveling CVN bottle opener thread

Post by bluejay_32 » October 14th, 2018, 11:15 am

Well after a month in the CVN wilderness it took all of fifteen minutes after I posted here to get a PM for it. :D

I will get him off to his next destination as soon as I can.

Bellwestern80 wrote:Shame TechnoWeenie couldn't have handed us a pamphlet about VerticalScope.
a_d_a_m
POTM Winner
moby-esq

Post by a_d_a_m » October 14th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Rad! It'd be neat to get at least 20 signatures on it...
'91 Country Squire | '03 Marauder | '04 CVLX | '07 P71 w/5-speed
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM
bluejay_32
Club 1K

Post by bluejay_32 » October 14th, 2018, 1:05 pm

ImageImage
The Post Office in our pharmacy has Sunday hours from 10-1:30, so as of 11 minutes ago Mr. Buzzfeed is off to his new adventure.

Bon voyage small friend.

bluejay_32
Club 1K

Post by bluejay_32 » October 18th, 2018, 12:25 am

According to my tracking he has arrived, and I'm sure he is on to new adventures.

Fauxbravic

Post by Fauxbravic » October 23rd, 2018, 1:29 am

Awesome!! It's things like this that I think set CVN apart, fun stuff that connects people. I never did see if Rizzo ever got his socket back, that thing really made it around from what I remember. I did get to sign the CVPI GT traveling license plate when it was passed around at Fabulous Fords Forever at Knott's Berry Farm several years back, If I'm able to get a hold of the bottle opener by early January I will be able to take it on the Zip-Tie drags and cruise from LA to Tucson with some of the So Cal Panther Cruzers and definitely put some bottle opening miles on it at the dragstrip. Just let me know in late December and I'll PM my info.
98 P71, Cobra Vic clone (sorta), has the look and suspension.
03 LX Sport, DX blue, grandma fresh, not stock for long.
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Post by Ponyguy » October 31st, 2018, 4:00 am

Mr. Buzzfeed arrived safely in his well-padded carton, to visit Ponyguy and his family in Oswego, IL and travel to South Dakota for a visit with Grandkids.
Oswego is a rapidly expanding village with all the amenities necessary to a middle-class family... including a new well-stocked library with two campuses; this is the Oswego branch, and there is another branch in Montgomery, IL:
The village is expanding so quickly that it out-grew our 1991 Police Station; wanna buy a Police Station? Our new one opens next month.
Mr. Buzzfeed laid around looking at Ponyguy's workday memoirs until it was time to hit Interstates 88 & 90.
Okay, we're off to visit the kids. We leave Illinois, and traverse Southwest Wisconsin to cross the Mississippi River at La Crosse,
Then we enter Minnesota, land of 10,000 lakes. (There are really more than that...)
Blue Earth, Minnesota is the Home of the Jolly Green Giant; Mr. Buzzfeed had fun just hanging out with him:
Once across Minnesota, Mr. Buzzfeed arrived in Sioux Falls, SD. Here, Mr. Buzzfeed watches over what gives Sioux Falls its name:
Sioux Falls is also home to Augustana University (formerly Augustana College), home of the Vikings.
Among other examples representative of the arts is at Fawick Park in downtown Sioux Falls, featuring a copy of Michelangelo's "David":
Okay, it's time to return home to Illinois, through Iowa on Interstate 80 this time.
Walcott, Iowa (just west of Davenport) is home to Iowa 80 truck stop, the World's Largest Truck stop, which should be of interest to all gear-heads:
Here, Mr. Buzzfeed watches my cane to keep it from walking away while I took the photograph:
Displayed inside is a restored antique Dodge Power Wagon; Mr. Buzzfeed likes those big lumpy tires:
And a meticulously restored Ford COE Flatbed. It sports a 1939 license plate, but I'm not certain if the truck is a 1938 or a 39... they look alike.
And we're back home. I'd say it's "Miller Time," but I have issues precluding real beer, so it's "O'Doul's Time" for Mr. Buzzfeed and me.
Mr. Buzzfeed enjoyed the trip, riding in the back seat watching movies with my daughter on her DVD player. He didn't even get car-sick!

I hope you guys enjoyed the trip! Who will Mr. Buzzfeed visit next ?
ImageImageImage

1984 Mustang Convertible 2004 Ranger XLT Flareside 2004 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Post by Ponyguy » November 3rd, 2018, 12:44 am

The Ponyguy added a couple of small embellishments to Mr. Buzzfeed's jingling body to mark his trail.

...and Mr. Buzzfeed has departed, gone onto another very capable CVN'er's loving care. I wish him godspeed and happy travels! :) Good bye, little friend!
ImageImageImage

1984 Mustang Convertible 2004 Ranger XLT Flareside 2004 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
LTC_Dave
POTM Winner Contributor to SoK
Club 1K

Post by LTC_Dave » November 3rd, 2018, 12:56 am

Looking good. I've always wanted to go to the I-80 truck stop.
:monocle:***06 LTC Signature Limited, Silver Birch, Factory NAV, THX 9 Speaker, Sunroof, Heated Seats,"Fully Loaded"
:monocle:***97 LTC Cartier. Cordovan Red. 78k miles.

2001 Crown Vic. Silver 137k
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Post by Ponyguy » November 3rd, 2018, 1:17 am

LTC_Dave wrote:
November 3rd, 2018, 12:56 am
Looking good. I've always wanted to go to the I-80 truck stop.
Dave, there are quite a few other restored trucks on display in the "civilian consumer" building adjacent to the gas islands. The '39 Ford COE and the Dodge are right inside the doorway; there are some more further inside, along with a couple of entire 18 wheel semi's that visitors & their children can climb into. In another building to the north is the Trucking Museum with dozens of trucks on display... and entrance is FREE. (They do have a "tip jar" for appreciative guests... which I helped populate). What I liked most about this establishment is the cleanliness of the place... truck stops as a whole generally have the expectation of being a pretty dingy, smelly and grimy place with rip-off price tags. Not Iowa 80... I wouldn't have hesitated to take my grandmother :( there... it's that classy of a place... and she'd have gone nuts over all the interesting trinkets and collectable "stuff" they have for sale.
ImageImageImage

bigltc

Post by bigltc » November 3rd, 2018, 2:20 am

I've gotta see the Jolly Green Giant!!! That's great!
a_d_a_m
POTM Winner
moby-esq

Post by a_d_a_m » November 3rd, 2018, 8:06 am

Man, that's a lot of miles, Gene...
'91 Country Squire | '03 Marauder | '04 CVLX | '07 P71 w/5-speed
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM
CrownBen
Club 1K

Post by CrownBen » November 13th, 2018, 1:54 pm

While I rather enjoy my small town, after such an exhilarating trip I figured he (and I) needed some more excitement than what Warrenville has to offer, so I took him on a short trip to Milwaukee.
Unfortunately I was only there for a day and a half, and was only out for less than that, and it was cold and rainy this weekend. We still had a good time.
A few things before I left, though:
First, I spied this on my way home from picking him up from Ponyguy. Apparently the corporate overlords are bringing back the Amoco name. Nice to see it again. Wonder if they'll bring back Standard too?

Then, I received some assistance during a dryer repair. Connection at the igniter had worked its' way loose. Cleaned it and put it back on. Total cost: $0. :w00t:

The next morning, I was on the campus of North Central College in Naperville, a small college where my son takes a class on Saturday mornings. So used the opportunity for another photo op.

Then did what most parents do during this little break, got some drink and snacks at a well-known coffee chain.

It was getting a little late by the time we started heading north, so between needing gas(oline) and also being hungry, we stopped for lunch at the McDonalds "with the light up table". The color pattern is constantly changing, and it's touch sensitive so the lights change color where you touch it or put something on it.

Now for the real fun. This evening we went out to one of my favorite "haunts", Shaker's. This former Capone-affiliated speakeasy and brothel is now a cigar bar. There are tours and a room upstairs available for rent, but not many people stay through the night due to "unusual occurrences".

Tired to get a picture with the A-B Clock, one of the largest clocks in the world, but it didn't come out. This looked much better in person.

Next day, it was off for some more enjoyment in the Old World Third Street area. First stop was The (original[ish]) Spice House to pick up some things.

I had other plans so didn't stop in, but Mader's is an institution.

Then it was on to Wisconsin Cheese Mart, because Wisconsin. Added a keychain here.

Wanted to go into Usinger's for some various sausage products, only to discover they are closed on Sunday. This is a classic meat shop, with white marble everywhere and vignettes surrounding the shop on the walls.

Then back across the street to Old German Beer Hall, the Milwaukee Hofbräuhaus. Ein maß Original, bitte! I've been to the one in Munich.

A view of Third Street

Then I decided to pay a visit to a place I hadn't been in a while. First, a stop to enjoy a view of the Milwaukee river.

The austere "front" of International Exports Limited hides something.

With one utterance, a switch is flipped on this board,
I am allowed through, and welcomed into The Safe House.

Mr Buzzfeed even got to hang out behind the bar!

Upon returning home, we both were pretty wore out. On Monday the metrology company was at work for quarterly equipment calibration. Figured Mr. Buzzfeed could use some re-calibration, too. They seemed confused.

That evening, Mr Buzzfeed hung out with Mymo, the My Gym mascot.

Afterwards, we called it a night with some Spotted Cow, New Glarus Brewing's most well-known brew. New Glarus is only available in Wisconsin. It is unknown if a truckload of the stuff has ever been run across state lines, with a Trans Am being used as a diversion. The bottle cap has been added to the collection.

As a little addendum, and because I could use a little snack, I munched on these Sake Kit Kats that my sister brought back from Japan.

Where will the adventure lead next? Hit me up in a PM!
95 CVLX · 77 F250
Priors: 00 V70 XC · 88 Grand Am · 77 Grand Prix · 86 LTD CV · 86 Country Squire · 88 Daytona · 75 CB750 · 53 Dodge B4C pickup
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Post by Ponyguy » November 15th, 2018, 3:40 am

Hey, Ben, that was quite the little trip! Mr. Buzzfeed is getting around!
As close as I live to Milwaukee, I've only visited a paltry few times... usually our Wisconsin jaunts take us through Madison & The Dells.
I did take our younger son through the Miller Beer Complex a few years ago.
And there used to be a decent Dog Racing track in Kenosha, close by the old AMC factory.
ImageImageImage

CrownBen
Club 1K

Post by CrownBen » November 15th, 2018, 2:44 pm

My brother in law went through the Miller tour, said it was really cool. I haven't made it. If I had more time, I might have gone. We'll see what happens between now and next week...
I'm up there frequently due to having family there, although I usually don't get out on my own quite this much. It was a great time!
That McDonalds is in Kenosha, right off the highway.
95 CVLX · 77 F250
Priors: 00 V70 XC · 88 Grand Am · 77 Grand Prix · 86 LTD CV · 86 Country Squire · 88 Daytona · 75 CB750 · 53 Dodge B4C pickup