Whatcha doing?

Lounge
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Whatcha doing?

Post by Ponyguy » August 27th, 2018, 4:31 pm

To sort of continue the jabber post from the "other site"...
What are you doing?
I just finished writing a fat check to State Farm to insure my three vehicles for the next six months... a whopping $580.62
2004 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
2004 Ranger XLT Flareside
1984 Mustang Convertible
GM_Guy
metro-esq

Re: Whatcha doing?

Post by GM_Guy » August 27th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Chillin out right now. Gonna hit staples later on to get a monitor for my uncle. Too many cops around this past week to have any fun on the road.
bluejay_32
POTM Winner Contributor to SoK CVNw MWP
Club 1K

Post by bluejay_32 » August 27th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Ponyguy wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 4:31 pm
I just finished writing a fat check to State Farm to insure my three vehicles for the next six months... a whopping $580.62
I'm gonna have to write one to New York Central for $784 pretty soon, but that's September to September.
2008 Grand Marquis - bought 7/29/16 - 60,210 mi
Inagural CVNw POTM - December 2018 :greenthing:

CVN POTM - February 2019 :jump:
Bellwestern80 wrote:Shame TechnoWeenie couldn't have handed us a pamphlet about VerticalScope.
ClayBelt
100aire

Post by ClayBelt » August 28th, 2018, 10:51 am

Chilling in calc class and waiting to fly home and get the Merc back Saturday
2010 Grand Marquis - 1966 Ford Thunderbird
RIP 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS
Good Riddance - 2005 Toyota 4Runner - 2001 Chevrolet Tracker
Bellwestern80
Club 1K

Post by Bellwestern80 » August 28th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Got done with changing the transmission fluid in my mom’s MKZ. Since it just has a drain plug, I drained, refilled, drove, and drained it again (total capacity is about 7qts and you get 3qts our each drain).

Seems to shift smoother now. Wasn’t harsh before, but the 1-2 shift was a little slow.

The Aisin 6-speed doesn’t use regular Ford stuff either, takes ATF T-IV, aka Toyota fluid. I got OEM Aisin brand stuff for $4.40/qt, similar to what Toyota has it for. Ford wants almost $10.50/qt with their “Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid” label.
My Cars:
-1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - The Hideaway
-1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
-1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse
LTC_Dave
POTM Winner Contributor to SoK
Club 1K

Post by LTC_Dave » August 28th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Renewed my license.

Added Ramathorn to the collection.

Then put holes in paper.

:monocle:***06 LTC Signature Limited, Silver Birch, Factory NAV, THX 9 Speaker, Sunroof, Heated Seats,"Fully Loaded"
:monocle:***97 LTC Cartier. Cordovan Red. 78k miles.
GM_Guy
metro-esq

Post by GM_Guy » August 28th, 2018, 5:25 pm

Nice groupings.
BigMerc96
metro-esq

Post by BigMerc96 » August 28th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Put a new "transmission extension housing" (AKA, tailshaft housing) on the '98 today. Bought a refurbed OEM one with new bushing and seal in it for not-a-lot of money to replace mine which had a wasted bushing causing there to be slop between the driveshaft and housing. I could move the driveshaft up/down noticeably in the bushing. Anyway, if I ever say I'mma do that again, just shoot me. That sucked. Every step fought. 1st, the trans mount would not come out, the studs are just a CH too long to get it out between the floor and crossmember with the trans lifted. Dunno what's different between the Townie and the '98, but the Townie's mount came out no problem when I replaced it. I then unbolted the tailshaft housing, with that loose I was able to remove the mount and thought, cool, should be able to just pull the housing out. That is when it jammed against the floor. Just not enough room between the floor and the crossmember. So I go to remove that and discovered another thing I've not encountered before on a box/aero, the damn bolts are too long to lift it out because they hit the floor. Lots of swearing and prying later I had the crossmember out on one end, which was enough to get the old housing out and chuck it as far down the driveway as I could. New housing went in pretty easy, but that crossmember fought going back in almost as much as it did coming out. Got it all back together and I no longer get that "bad u-joint" clunk in some situations. Also, no more slop between the driveshaft and transmission which was the whole point of this project, so, mission accomplished?

I do gotta wonder tho, why did the trans mount and crossmember bolts hit the floor on this car but not on any other Aero/box I've removed these parts on? Maybe the body mounts are a bit flat? they look good tho. I mean, the front 3/4 of the frame and most of the floor is damn near exactly the same from '79-'02, but this '98 seemed to have less room.
2006 Audi A6: 129k miles, stock.
1998 Grand Marquis LS HPP: 98k miles, slowly becoming less stock.
1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier: 148k miles, not stock, rusting into pieces.
1996 Grand Marquis GS: 117k miles, not stock. *RIP 7/14/12* :(
ClayBelt
100aire

Post by ClayBelt » August 28th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Working on coordinating the informal car club on campus for a show the 15th.
a_d_a_m
POTM Winner
moby-esq

Post by a_d_a_m » August 31st, 2018, 8:21 pm

Still working on getting VerticalScope to give a crap. I took a brief hiatus while I rode jet skis in Ocean City. :D
'91 Country Squire | '03 Marauder | '04 CVLX | '07 P71 w/5-speed
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM
Mperson
Site Admin
metro-esq

Post by Mperson » August 31st, 2018, 8:40 pm

BigMerc96 wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 7:46 pm
Put a new "transmission extension housing" (AKA, tailshaft housing) on the '98 today. Bought a refurbed OEM one with new bushing and seal in it for not-a-lot of money to replace mine which had a wasted bushing causing there to be slop between the driveshaft and housing. I could move the driveshaft up/down noticeably in the bushing. Anyway, if I ever say I'mma do that again, just shoot me. That sucked. Every step fought...
Also, no more slop between the driveshaft and transmission which was the whole point of this project, so, mission accomplished?
Congrats! Sounds like a giant pain.
LX Sport
Box P72 5.8
ClayBelt
100aire

Post by ClayBelt » August 31st, 2018, 8:42 pm

Bought the paint to finish up a repaint project, and a Marauder airfilter to replace the cheap ass, dirty AF Vic one I have
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Post by Ponyguy » September 2nd, 2018, 4:05 am

This afternoon, we accompanied our son, his wife and the six local grandkids out to an "End of Summer" treat... we dropped in at a deep-fried chicken & Fries place and put on the feed bag. Then, we took the whole crew to see a movie about "Christopher Robin" as a grown-up. Quite a pleasant late-afternoon/evening, followed by a stop at McDonald's for soft-serve sundaes.
I didn't manage to snap any pictures, because most of the time I was man-handling little baby Brian.
He's a cute little fella... almost 6 months old now.
Here's a picture when he was about a month old:
2004 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
2004 Ranger XLT Flareside
1984 Mustang Convertible
88grandmarq
Elite 5K

Post by 88grandmarq » September 2nd, 2018, 9:56 am

BigMerc96 wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 7:46 pm
Put a new "transmission extension housing" (AKA, tailshaft housing) on the '98 today. Bought a refurbed OEM one with new bushing and seal in it for not-a-lot of money to replace mine which had a wasted bushing causing there to be slop between the driveshaft and housing. I could move the driveshaft up/down noticeably in the bushing. Anyway, if I ever say I'mma do that again, just shoot me. That sucked. Every step fought. 1st, the trans mount would not come out, the studs are just a CH too long to get it out between the floor and crossmember with the trans lifted. Dunno what's different between the Townie and the '98, but the Townie's mount came out no problem when I replaced it. I then unbolted the tailshaft housing, with that loose I was able to remove the mount and thought, cool, should be able to just pull the housing out. That is when it jammed against the floor. Just not enough room between the floor and the crossmember. So I go to remove that and discovered another thing I've not encountered before on a box/aero, the damn bolts are too long to lift it out because they hit the floor. Lots of swearing and prying later I had the crossmember out on one end, which was enough to get the old housing out and chuck it as far down the driveway as I could. New housing went in pretty easy, but that crossmember fought going back in almost as much as it did coming out. Got it all back together and I no longer get that "bad u-joint" clunk in some situations. Also, no more slop between the driveshaft and transmission which was the whole point of this project, so, mission accomplished?

I do gotta wonder tho, why did the trans mount and crossmember bolts hit the floor on this car but not on any other Aero/box I've removed these parts on? Maybe the body mounts are a bit flat? they look good tho. I mean, the front 3/4 of the frame and most of the floor is damn near exactly the same from '79-'02, but this '98 seemed to have less room.
I have noticed transmission mount stud length difference between production years, as well as OEM Vs aftermarket. personally, I always remove the crossmember to get the extension housing out, while the transmission is mounted in the car.

btw, if the bushing was that wasted, I highly recommend you have new ujoints installed and have the drive shaft professionally balanced.
2011 P7B - retired Jay county Indiana Sheriffs car
2011 F-350 XL CrewCab 4WD
6.2L Gas, 6R140 Auto, 4.30 E-locker

89 Crown Victoria LX- HPP Box - SOLD 09/2010
88 Grand Marquis LS - The original - Totaled 5/2006
BigMerc96
metro-esq

Post by BigMerc96 » September 2nd, 2018, 5:19 pm

I actually found the bad bushing when I was replacing the u-joints. Something just didn't seem "right" when I was putting the driveshaft back into the transmission after that job, so I gave everything a shake and that is what I found. I had typical bad u-joint noises and accompanying vibrations and when I shook everything down before I took it apart I had play in the front u-joint but missed the play in the bushing until I was putting it back together and no longer had the play in the joint. That was actually last fall, shortly before I put the car up for the winter and I sort of forgot about it because I no longer had any vibrations at "normal" speeds. It was one of those things that would pop into my mind whenever I was on the freeway for an extended period of time even though it didn't seem to be making an issue of its self, but it needed fixed so I fixed it.

Between that and the ARA3 PCM I put in it at the same time, the car feels quite a bit different. Its starting to feel more like I want it too, but it still needs something.

Anyone know a good place to find the "speedometer gear" on the VSS? Being a '98 HPP it has the 3.27 RAR with the purple 21-tooth gear despite most calculators saying it should have the orange 20-tooth. Mine has 2 chipped/cracked teeth, that was my other "surprise" when I took it all apart. Its working and IDK how long its been that way, but I'd like to at least source a new one for it since they're easy enough to swap out.
2006 Audi A6: 129k miles, stock.
1998 Grand Marquis LS HPP: 98k miles, slowly becoming less stock.
1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier: 148k miles, not stock, rusting into pieces.
1996 Grand Marquis GS: 117k miles, not stock. *RIP 7/14/12* :(